Connect with us

NEWS

Robbers kill actor, shoot policemen in Delta

Published

on

Clems-OnyekaA Nollywood actor, Clems Onyeka, was killed while several policemen sustained gunshot wounds during a gunfight between bandits and policemen in Asaba, the Delta State capital, on Tuesday.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Onyeka was shot during a failed attempt to rob a bullion van laden with money.

Several policemen were seriously injured in the incident, which sent motorists and pedestrians along the DBS road and Summit road scampering to safety.

A military detachment arrived the scene after the robbers had left. The soldiers were said to have helped in rushing the injured to the Federal Medical Centre, Asaba.

The Delta State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Celestina Kalu, who confirmed the story to our correspondent, said the driver of the bullion van managed to drive off leaving the police escorts behind to face the robbers.

She said, “It is apparent that the robbers laid ambush for the police escorts that were coming in from Awka, Anambra State. But the bullion van driver was able to manoeuvre his way while the policemen engaged the robbers.

“One of the robbers was hit during the shootout but his colleagues were able to carry him and escaped with him as the police fire became too hot for them.”

She said one policeman was seriously injured and he and other people who were hit in the crossfire were taken to the hospital.

Meanwhile, fans and friends of the Nollywood actor have expressed shock following the news of his death. Ever since the news of his death broke, friends have been posting condolence messages on his Facebook wall.

One of his Facebook friends, Andres Isaac, described his death as an unbelievable occurrence. He said, “I can’t believe that death has taken you away, Clems. May your soul rest in peace.”

Another friend, Christiana Nwankwo, said, “I don’t believe you are dead. I am still calling your number. You were supposed to come to my birthday. Please wake up, Clems.”

Charles Nwachukwu said, “My brother, Clems, I can’t believe you have gone. I remember our last chat and all that you told me to do. I can’t believe this sad story. My brother, it shouldn’t have been you. Your death is so painful. Rest in peace, Clems Onyeka.”

Another friend, identified only as Chommy, said, “I can’t believe that the Clems Onyeka that I talked to two days ago is no more in this world. Clems that I fondly called Anya Oke, and he called me Isi Aki is gone? I am still in shock and my eyes are full of tears. Death fears no one. He was shot dead. I will forever miss you.”

Liz Nancy said, “We just celebrated his birthday last month. This is very sad news.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

NEWS

Lagos state government shuts down all schools over #EndSARS protests

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has ordered the closure of public and private schools in the state indefinitely.
This was announced in a press statement by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi, on Monday.
The statement was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’.
It quoted the Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the #EndSARS protests.”
The statement read in part, “The Lagos State Government has directed all pupils/students in public and private schools to stay at home following the tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.
“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”
Adefisayo added that “the safety of the pupils/students, parents and all staff working in schools is paramount at this critical period”.
She however advised parents to “keep an eye on their wards and not allow them to be used as willing tools in the hands of those who might want to hijack the protests to unleash mayhem on the society”.
The Commissioner also encouraged schools to “utilize other means of distance teaching and learning i.e radio, television and online media as they have been doing during and post the recent COVID-19 lockdown”.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Siberian Husky Awaits Trial For Allegedly Murdering Neighbor Cat

Published

on

A Siberian Husky in Denver was accused of killing a neighbor’s cat and now sits in an animal shelter awaiting a trial.

Zuma, the 12-year-old dog who lives with Kevin and Valerie Kickham, reportedly wandered over to a neighbor’s yard in Central Park early August and took the life of a seven-year-old Tabby cat, according to FOX 31 News.

“It was only this one moment in time that I lost track of Zuma and something did occur,” Kevin confessed to the outlet with Valerie by his side.

Denver Animal Protection eventually picked Zuma up and has held him in their shelter since the alleged incident.

While Kevin and Valerie “feel bad” about the loss of the cat, they are very concerned for Zuma, whom they have sheltered since he was eight weeks old and call “son.”

“He’s very much our child,” stated Valerie.

“I remember him taking part of his first Thanksgiving turkey,” Kevin recalled fondly. “We fed him turkey in the bowl and next thing you know he actually jumped up and grabbed a piece of turkey for himself.”

A spokesperson for the Denver Animal Protection told the outlet that a judge may exonerate Zuma. If found guilty, however, Zuma could be put to sleep or relocated “somewhere outside the city.”

“It’s not a scenario that’s ideal,” explained Kevin.

While they await the trial date set for mid-November, the Kickhams are allowed weekly visits to the shelter.

“Both of our last visits he wasn’t excited,” Kevin told the news source. “It’s been very hard.”

With the life expectancy of a Siberian Husky ranging from 12 to 15 years, the couple are fearful they may not have much more time together with Zuma.

“We know that it’s not going to be much longer,” Kevin added. “We’ve cherished every moment with him.”

The outlet said they have reached out to the family of the feline victim, but there has been no response.

Continue Reading

NEWS

#EndSARS: If there’s no change after one week, we will protest again – Naira Marley

Published

on

Controversial Nigerian singer, Naira Marley has vowed to initiate a second phase of the #EndSars protest in the coming week if terms are not met.

This is coming after the incessant brutality and harassment of Nigerian youths by officers of the Special Anti-Robbery Squads, SARs.

The first phase of the protest started today, October 8th, led by celebrities like Runtown, Falz, and others within Lagos state.

Naira Marley who earlier backed out of the #EndSars protest applauded youths who supported the movement and has promised to lead a second phase.

The Tesumole crooner wrote in a tweet, “Respect to all the youths out there fighting for their rights and what’s right. God bless y’all.

“After a week if there’s no changes on this fsars issue as promised by nigeriapoliceforce then we will get back out there stronger. Stay safe and protest peacefully if u re protesting.

#endsars protest

“They know My own crowd ya werey gan o #uncontrollably. I told y’all already 99% Marlians are not on twitter.

“Some of y’all will remain follower and never become a leader.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018, Pink Entertainment

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com