Connect with us

NEWS

Okorocha promises to expose Ohakim’s activities

Published

on

Okorocha promises to expose Ohakim’s activities

 

THOSE calling for the probe of former Governor Ikedi Ohakim of Imo State have won the first leg of their battle.

Governor Rochas Okorocha has agreed to expose and investigate fraud by the administration of his predecessor.

The governor yesterday bowed to the sustained pressure from groups and some residents who have been demanding the probe of Ohakim administration.

He told a group of tricycle operators, mechanics, transporters and artisans that his government would publicise the activities of the former governor within 14 days.

The group, under the auspices of Joint Action Group (JAG) had earlier issued a 21-day ultimatum for Ohakim’s probe at the House of Assembly Complex, Owerri, the state capital.

Okorocha said: “Let me inform you that the decision of the present administration is to bring justice to bear following your protest over the activities of the past administration.

“Nobody has negotiated to cover the activities of ex-governor Ohakim within the four years he governed the state. Rather, it may interest you to know that the panel set up to look into the activities of the former governor has just presented its report.

“Within the remaining 14 days of your ultimatum, we shall make Ohakim’s activities in Government House known to the public.”

To Okorocha it is “worrisome that Ohakim implemented only three projects, which he alleged were uncompleted and 87 kilometer of roads which were also uncompleted in four years.

He assured that his administration would ensure the recovery of the funds allegedly misappropriated by the former governor.

His words: “I want to thank you for your patience so far. Honestly, I agree with you that it is worrisome that Ohakim did only three uncompleted projects in four years and 87 kilometres of uncompleted road projects. So, the money must be somewhere and if that money is recovered, it will help to make heathcare services free in addition to free education programme.”

He urged members of the group to be law-abiding as the security agencies and other relevant authorities would not shy away from ensuring that the former governor faces the full wrath of the law.

Speaking for the group, Mrs. Ngozi Amadi, expressed disappointed that the government has not taken a position on the former governor after it issued a 21-day ultimatum last week.

She said: “Your Excellency, instead of arresting and trying Ohakim, we have his men still gallivanting and threatening fire and brimstone. Our leadership have been receiving threatening calls but never will that derail our call for justice.

“If this is democracy, then we have every right to call our leaders and ask for what is reasonably attainable. It is true that we commend your revolutionary feat in transforming our state; we surely will not rest on our oars until those who looted our treasury are brought to book.”

Mrs. Amadi accused the former governor of squandering public funds on non-existent Oak Refinery, Midwest Airline, Dredging of Nwaorie River and Oguta Lake Resort.

She described as disturbing that Ohakim has not been arrested for prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) after claiming that he sunk N25.7 billion into the presidential election campaign of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

NEWS

Lagos state government shuts down all schools over #EndSARS protests

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has ordered the closure of public and private schools in the state indefinitely.
This was announced in a press statement by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi, on Monday.
The statement was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’.
It quoted the Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the #EndSARS protests.”
The statement read in part, “The Lagos State Government has directed all pupils/students in public and private schools to stay at home following the tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.
“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”
Adefisayo added that “the safety of the pupils/students, parents and all staff working in schools is paramount at this critical period”.
She however advised parents to “keep an eye on their wards and not allow them to be used as willing tools in the hands of those who might want to hijack the protests to unleash mayhem on the society”.
The Commissioner also encouraged schools to “utilize other means of distance teaching and learning i.e radio, television and online media as they have been doing during and post the recent COVID-19 lockdown”.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Siberian Husky Awaits Trial For Allegedly Murdering Neighbor Cat

Published

on

A Siberian Husky in Denver was accused of killing a neighbor’s cat and now sits in an animal shelter awaiting a trial.

Zuma, the 12-year-old dog who lives with Kevin and Valerie Kickham, reportedly wandered over to a neighbor’s yard in Central Park early August and took the life of a seven-year-old Tabby cat, according to FOX 31 News.

“It was only this one moment in time that I lost track of Zuma and something did occur,” Kevin confessed to the outlet with Valerie by his side.

Denver Animal Protection eventually picked Zuma up and has held him in their shelter since the alleged incident.

While Kevin and Valerie “feel bad” about the loss of the cat, they are very concerned for Zuma, whom they have sheltered since he was eight weeks old and call “son.”

“He’s very much our child,” stated Valerie.

“I remember him taking part of his first Thanksgiving turkey,” Kevin recalled fondly. “We fed him turkey in the bowl and next thing you know he actually jumped up and grabbed a piece of turkey for himself.”

A spokesperson for the Denver Animal Protection told the outlet that a judge may exonerate Zuma. If found guilty, however, Zuma could be put to sleep or relocated “somewhere outside the city.”

“It’s not a scenario that’s ideal,” explained Kevin.

While they await the trial date set for mid-November, the Kickhams are allowed weekly visits to the shelter.

“Both of our last visits he wasn’t excited,” Kevin told the news source. “It’s been very hard.”

With the life expectancy of a Siberian Husky ranging from 12 to 15 years, the couple are fearful they may not have much more time together with Zuma.

“We know that it’s not going to be much longer,” Kevin added. “We’ve cherished every moment with him.”

The outlet said they have reached out to the family of the feline victim, but there has been no response.

Continue Reading

NEWS

#EndSARS: If there’s no change after one week, we will protest again – Naira Marley

Published

on

Controversial Nigerian singer, Naira Marley has vowed to initiate a second phase of the #EndSars protest in the coming week if terms are not met.

This is coming after the incessant brutality and harassment of Nigerian youths by officers of the Special Anti-Robbery Squads, SARs.

The first phase of the protest started today, October 8th, led by celebrities like Runtown, Falz, and others within Lagos state.

Naira Marley who earlier backed out of the #EndSars protest applauded youths who supported the movement and has promised to lead a second phase.

The Tesumole crooner wrote in a tweet, “Respect to all the youths out there fighting for their rights and what’s right. God bless y’all.

“After a week if there’s no changes on this fsars issue as promised by nigeriapoliceforce then we will get back out there stronger. Stay safe and protest peacefully if u re protesting.

#endsars protest

“They know My own crowd ya werey gan o #uncontrollably. I told y’all already 99% Marlians are not on twitter.

“Some of y’all will remain follower and never become a leader.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018, Pink Entertainment

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com