Connect with us

NEWS

32 policemen, 270 others murdered in Lagos

Published

on

32 policemen, 270 others murdered in Lagos

The police released yesterday grim statistics of the crime rate in Lagos in the last one year.

No fewer than 270 people were murdered and 32 policemen killed in gun battles with armed robbers in the nation’s commercial capital.

Lagos State Police Commissioner Umar Manko reeled off the scary figures at the sixth Town Hall meeting on security at the Civic Centre, Victoria Island.

The Lagos State government has spent N8.7 billion to equip the police through its Security Trust Fund.

Manko spoke before Governor Babatunde Fashola and members of his executive, legislators, traditional rulers and members of the Fund.

The figure of 32 policemen killed represents an increase of 13 over the 19 killed in gun battles with robbers last year.

But the police have the upper hand in the battles.

The statistics revealed that between November 1 and October 31, policemen killed 140 suspects. This, however, represents a shortfall in the number of suspects killed by the police between November 2010 and October last year, which stood at 164.

Besides, there are more robbery cases – 123 incidents were recorded in the last 11 months as against 61 recorded the previous year.

The police arrested 569 robbery suspects in 11 months. The figure is higher than the 522 of the previous year. More arms were recovered this year (371 arms) than last year’s 328.

Armed robbers have been using more sophisticated ammunition as 26, 058 of them were recovered in the last 11 months as against 3,553 ammunition recovered the previous year.

The statistics showed that fewer vehicles were recovered from robbers this year (954 vehicles) as against1, 187 recovered the previous year.

Furthermore, 1,263 vehicles were stolen in Lagos this year and 1,448 last year.

The police foiled 418 armed robbery cases this year; 426 cases were foiled last year.

“The new trend in Lagos State is the vandalisation and attack on ATM, car jerking and the menace of commercial motorcycle operators. The command has risen up to the challenge by evolving new strategies to combat the menace but dearth of funds and logistics continue to hamper our efforts,” he said.

Fashola decried the challenge of equipping “and resourcing our security agencies in the face of the insufficient support from the Federal Government which has continued till this day” .

He said his administration through the Security Trust Fund (STF), has provided logistics valued at N8.7 billion for the police and other security agencies to match the increasing wave and technique of crime in the state.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

NEWS

Lagos state government shuts down all schools over #EndSARS protests

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has ordered the closure of public and private schools in the state indefinitely.
This was announced in a press statement by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi, on Monday.
The statement was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’.
It quoted the Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the #EndSARS protests.”
The statement read in part, “The Lagos State Government has directed all pupils/students in public and private schools to stay at home following the tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.
“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”
Adefisayo added that “the safety of the pupils/students, parents and all staff working in schools is paramount at this critical period”.
She however advised parents to “keep an eye on their wards and not allow them to be used as willing tools in the hands of those who might want to hijack the protests to unleash mayhem on the society”.
The Commissioner also encouraged schools to “utilize other means of distance teaching and learning i.e radio, television and online media as they have been doing during and post the recent COVID-19 lockdown”.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Siberian Husky Awaits Trial For Allegedly Murdering Neighbor Cat

Published

on

A Siberian Husky in Denver was accused of killing a neighbor’s cat and now sits in an animal shelter awaiting a trial.

Zuma, the 12-year-old dog who lives with Kevin and Valerie Kickham, reportedly wandered over to a neighbor’s yard in Central Park early August and took the life of a seven-year-old Tabby cat, according to FOX 31 News.

“It was only this one moment in time that I lost track of Zuma and something did occur,” Kevin confessed to the outlet with Valerie by his side.

Denver Animal Protection eventually picked Zuma up and has held him in their shelter since the alleged incident.

While Kevin and Valerie “feel bad” about the loss of the cat, they are very concerned for Zuma, whom they have sheltered since he was eight weeks old and call “son.”

“He’s very much our child,” stated Valerie.

“I remember him taking part of his first Thanksgiving turkey,” Kevin recalled fondly. “We fed him turkey in the bowl and next thing you know he actually jumped up and grabbed a piece of turkey for himself.”

A spokesperson for the Denver Animal Protection told the outlet that a judge may exonerate Zuma. If found guilty, however, Zuma could be put to sleep or relocated “somewhere outside the city.”

“It’s not a scenario that’s ideal,” explained Kevin.

While they await the trial date set for mid-November, the Kickhams are allowed weekly visits to the shelter.

“Both of our last visits he wasn’t excited,” Kevin told the news source. “It’s been very hard.”

With the life expectancy of a Siberian Husky ranging from 12 to 15 years, the couple are fearful they may not have much more time together with Zuma.

“We know that it’s not going to be much longer,” Kevin added. “We’ve cherished every moment with him.”

The outlet said they have reached out to the family of the feline victim, but there has been no response.

Continue Reading

NEWS

#EndSARS: If there’s no change after one week, we will protest again – Naira Marley

Published

on

Controversial Nigerian singer, Naira Marley has vowed to initiate a second phase of the #EndSars protest in the coming week if terms are not met.

This is coming after the incessant brutality and harassment of Nigerian youths by officers of the Special Anti-Robbery Squads, SARs.

The first phase of the protest started today, October 8th, led by celebrities like Runtown, Falz, and others within Lagos state.

Naira Marley who earlier backed out of the #EndSars protest applauded youths who supported the movement and has promised to lead a second phase.

The Tesumole crooner wrote in a tweet, “Respect to all the youths out there fighting for their rights and what’s right. God bless y’all.

“After a week if there’s no changes on this fsars issue as promised by nigeriapoliceforce then we will get back out there stronger. Stay safe and protest peacefully if u re protesting.

#endsars protest

“They know My own crowd ya werey gan o #uncontrollably. I told y’all already 99% Marlians are not on twitter.

“Some of y’all will remain follower and never become a leader.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018, Pink Entertainment

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com